What does it mean to be successful?

Mindfulness. The more I've thought about this, the more I think success is rooted in mindfulness. Being in that moment, giving that moment your full attention, and appreciating (or at least acknowledging) the moment for what it is. I drive to work every day and spend about an hour in the car. I drive home, and spend another hour in the car. During this morning hour and afternoon hour, I multitask. Sometimes I listen to audio books. Sometimes I listen to music. Other times I have an active mind and find that the time is productively spent brainstorming and capturing ideas. But I'm also driving. I'm also interacting with other drivers. And this is where I ran into a problem this morning, when I was thinking about the situation. I enjoy driving. I like my car. I take care of my car. My car brings me joy. But I don't appreciate it when I'm in the midst of the experience of driving, many times. I'm driving because I need to get some place - often in a hurry. I become angry with drivers who are slowing me down. I am also doing other things at the same time (the aforementioned music, audiobooks, etc.) and I'm not mindful of my actions. Instead I'm aggressive and angry, and I'm not appreciating the experience for what it could be. Because for me it is routine. It is just something I have to do - driving to get from point A to point B. But what if I was in an exotic sportscar? Would the experience be different, even if it was still the routine drive to the store to pick up groceries? Here's the thing... no, it wouldn't be different. It might be novel the first few times, but then it becomes the norm. And we take the norm for granted. Because it is the norm. It isn't surprising or fun, because we've been there before. But it doesn't have to be. If I'm more mindful when I'm driving, the experience can be more joyful. I can appreciate it for what it is. I can take the opportunity to enjoy my car and the act of driving and strip away the impatience and the aggression and make it an enjoyable experience. And sure, I can also listen to music or have ideas. But when I am engaged in that activity, I also need to be mindful that I can't allow myself to slip into old habits of anger and impatience with other drivers. My attention has to be, foremost, on the activity of driving. And I can't be successful in the act of being a 'good' driver unless I do this. Life is like that. Work is like that. Everything is like that. True success is being mindful of where you are in the moment and knowing what the demands of that moment are. And not letting emotion or distraction spoil that moment. It isn't about exploiting that moment, but it IS about trying to get everything you can out of every opportunity. And being mindful of your demeanor. There was a good quote this morning that encapsulates this idea of being a 'good' person, and it is something we often let go by the wayside because we're so focused on other aspects of the day, and the demands of the moment: "Be pleasant until ten o'clock in the morning, and the rest of the day will take care of itself." Elbert Hubbard Being a successful individual, a successful leader for example, doesn't require tyranny. There are times when a firm hand might be needed, but it is more about being a good person. To be successful, you need to be effective. To be effective, you need to be efficient. To be efficient, you can't let emotion cloud your actions and judgments. So if your default is to simply be a good person, to be mindful of those opportunities when you're not a good person, it makes a difference. Seeking out joy in the things that bring joy instead of wallowing over the things that bring pain or sadness. Celebrating success. Reflecting on loss, but as a future positive motivator. Mindfulness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Self-Experimenting

The How - Our Children

Impressionability